Medical College of Virginia
The Medical College of Virginia (MCV), located in Richmond, VA, was established in 1838 as the medical department of Hampden-Sydeny College. MCV became an independent instituion in 1854. It merged with the University College of Medicine in 1913, retaining the MCV name. In 1968 the college merged with the Richmond Professional Institue to form Virginia Commonwealth University.
Found in 22 Collections and/or Records:
The records include one bound volume of the minutes of the Board of Trustees from 1899 to 1913. There are no minutes for 1906 to 1908. The records also include correspondence, resolutions and reports.
This collection contains the personal papers of Charles P. Cardwell, Jr. when he served as president-elect, then president of the Virginia Hospital Association. The papers include annual reports, committee reports, policy proposals, as well as personal and professional correspondence from 1950-1953. The papers focus on issues like standardization of nursing education, hospital insurance consolidation and reform, hospital finances, and indigent patient care.
The collection includes minutes of the Monumental Church Endowment, correspondence with J. Ambler Johnston who oversaw the early renovation. Also included are clippings and articles relating to the Church and its members. The Collection focuses on the time of its first renovation from 1960-1965. It does not cover activity of the congregation or of the years of University ownership.
The collection includes correspondence, professional papers, reports, files and published materials dating from 1942-1993. The bulk of the collection dates from the 1960s through the 1980s and consists mostly of correspondence and professional papers. The collection focuses on Dr. Mellette's many professional pursuits within the field of oncology.
The Collection contains newspaper clippings from Richmond, Virginia area newspapers from 1911 to 1913. It chronicles the rivalry between the schools, Mitchell's appointment as President and the early integration efforts. The Collection is limited to only what was in the newspapers during these years and is not a complete representation of Mitchell's career.
The collection consists of materials collected by Dr. Peeples in the field of hunger, poverty, and racial issues in the United States and abroad. There is considerable information on the fight for integration in Virginia in the 1960s. It includes his thesis on the Prince Edward County school issue in the late 1950s and early 1960s as well as many newspaper articles that document that period. A large portion of this collection is made up of numerous types of publications.
The collection consists of various items from Perry's life that show his vast array of interests, from a college textbook to the analytical breakdown of a soybean farm. The collection focuses mostly on Perry's medical work and not on his political or civic duties.
The collection is limited to committee notes from the Academic Privileges and Admissions Committees as well as small amounts of correspondence and reprints of papers. The collection does not contain any information regarding Porter's medical practice or his academic teaching.
The collection is mostly the diplomas and official documentation of Scott's medical career as well as some photographs of his days at MCV and attended conferences. There is no documentation of his medical practice or personal papers.
This collection contains papers of Dr. James L. Thomson and his wife, Dorothy Knowles Thomson. Dr. Thomson's papers include World War II memorabilia and photographs as well as papers from the Excelsior Club, a group of surgeons brought together by the war. The papers of Mrs. Thomson, an instructor of operating room nursing at the Medical College of Virginia, include teaching materials and personal effects.