The Medical College of Virginia (MCV), located in Richmond, VA, was established in 1838 as the medical department of Hampden-Sydeny College. MCV became an independent instituion in 1854. It merged with the University College of Medicine in 1913, retaining the MCV name. In 1968 the college merged with the Richmond Professional Institue to form Virginia Commonwealth University.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Identifier: Acc. 136
Scope and Contents
The Alton D. Brashear Collection is primarily the information, documents and materials gathered together to write the history of the 45th General Hospital. This Army medical unit was staffed by faculty from the Medical College of Virginia during World War II. Brashear served as the Chief of Dental Services.The collection includes official papers, orders, personnel files and other documents relating to the initial training and operation of the hospital unit before and after its...