Skip to main content

Medical College of Virginia

 Organization

Biography

The Medical College of Virginia (MCV), located in Richmond, VA, was established in 1838 as the medical department of Hampden-Sydeny College. MCV became an independent instituion in 1854. It merged with the University College of Medicine in 1913, retaining the MCV name. In 1968 the college merged with the Richmond Professional Institue to form Virginia Commonwealth University.

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Papers of Alton D. Brashear

 Collection
Identifier: Acc. 136
Scope and Contents The Alton D. Brashear Collection is primarily the information, documents and materials gathered together to write the history of the 45th General Hospital. This Army medical unit was staffed by faculty from the Medical College of Virginia during World War II. Brashear served as the Chief of Dental Services.The collection includes official papers, orders, personnel files and other documents relating to the initial training and operation of the hospital unit before and after its...
Dates: 1935-1955

Robert B. Ware papers

 Collection
Identifier: 2005-Nov-21
Scope and Contents

The collection consists of memorabilia from Ware's years in medical school and wartime service.

Dates: 1939-1945