Richmond Professional Institute
- Existence: 1917 - 1968
- Usage: 1962 - 1968
- Usage: 1939 - 1962
- Usage: 1925 - 1939
- Usage: 1918 - 1925
- Usage: 1917 - 1918
The Richmond Professional Institute, originally named the Richmond School of Social Economy, began in 1917 to offer training in social work and public health nursing. Beginning in 1919, RPI affiliated with the College of William and Mary eventually becoming the Richmond Division of the College of William and Mary in 1925. The school grew despite insubstantial state funding. By 1953, RPI was accredited as an independent institution from William and Mary and RPI fully separated in 1962. During the 1960s the need to expand educational opportunities in the urban areas of the state became apparent. Following the recommendations of the Bird Commission Report and the Wayne Commission Report, RPI merged with the Medical College of Virginia to create Virginia Commonwealth University in 1968.
- Richmond (Va.) (Associated Country)
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The collection consists of materials collected by Dr. Peeples in the field of hunger, poverty, and racial issues in the United States and abroad. There is considerable information on the fight for integration in Virginia in the 1960s. It includes his thesis on the Prince Edward County school issue in the late 1950s and early 1960s as well as many newspaper articles that document that period. A large portion of this collection is made up of numerous types of publications.