Skip to main content

Richmond Professional Institute

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1917 - 1968
  • Usage: 1962 - 1968
  • Usage: 1939 - 1962
  • Usage: 1925 - 1939
  • Usage: 1918 - 1925
  • Usage: 1917 - 1918

Biography

The Richmond Professional Institute, originally named the Richmond School of Social Economy, began in 1917 to offer training in social work and public health nursing. Beginning in 1919, RPI affiliated with the College of William and Mary eventually becoming the Richmond Division of the College of William and Mary in 1925. The school grew despite insubstantial state funding. By 1953, RPI was accredited as an independent institution from William and Mary and RPI fully separated in 1962. During the 1960s the need to expand educational opportunities in the urban areas of the state became apparent. Following the recommendations of the Bird Commission Report and the Wayne Commission Report, RPI merged with the Medical College of Virginia to create Virginia Commonwealth University in 1968.

Places

Topics

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Hilda Yates Warden papers

 Collection
Identifier: M 376
Scope and Contents The collection includes minutes, correspondence, reports, newspaper clippings, various publications and other materials related to Warden's interests in civil rights and prisoner treatment. The materials date from the mid-1960s until the mid-2000s although the bulk of the collection is from 1969-1971. A significant portion of the collection is comprised of materials from her activities within the Virginia Commission on Human Relations, Richmond Y.W.C.A., and Offender Aid and Restoration. The...
Dates: 1959-2005