Richmond Professional Institute
- Existence: 1917 - 1968
- Usage: 1962 - 1968
- Usage: 1939 - 1962
- Usage: 1925 - 1939
- Usage: 1918 - 1925
- Usage: 1917 - 1918
The Richmond Professional Institute, originally named the Richmond School of Social Economy, began in 1917 to offer training in social work and public health nursing. Beginning in 1919, RPI affiliated with the College of William and Mary eventually becoming the Richmond Division of the College of William and Mary in 1925. The school grew despite insubstantial state funding. By 1953, RPI was accredited as an independent institution from William and Mary and RPI fully separated in 1962. During the 1960s the need to expand educational opportunities in the urban areas of the state became apparent. Following the recommendations of the Bird Commission Report and the Wayne Commission Report, RPI merged with the Medical College of Virginia to create Virginia Commonwealth University in 1968.
- Richmond (Va.) (Associated Country)
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
This collection chronicles some of her accomplishments at VCU’s Department of Fashion as well as glimpses into her life through correspondence to Ms. Windmueller. The collection also helps tell the story of her survival as young Jewish Woman in Nazi Germany, primarily through photographs and newspaper clippings though there are a few letters from friends and family which lend more information to this time in her life.
Most materials are in English, but a minority are in German.