Skip to main content

Richmond Professional Institute

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1917 - 1968
  • Usage: 1962 - 1968
  • Usage: 1939 - 1962
  • Usage: 1925 - 1939
  • Usage: 1918 - 1925
  • Usage: 1917 - 1918

Biography

The Richmond Professional Institute, originally named the Richmond School of Social Economy, began in 1917 to offer training in social work and public health nursing. Beginning in 1919, RPI affiliated with the College of William and Mary eventually becoming the Richmond Division of the College of William and Mary in 1925. The school grew despite insubstantial state funding. By 1953, RPI was accredited as an independent institution from William and Mary and RPI fully separated in 1962. During the 1960s the need to expand educational opportunities in the urban areas of the state became apparent. Following the recommendations of the Bird Commission Report and the Wayne Commission Report, RPI merged with the Medical College of Virginia to create Virginia Commonwealth University in 1968.

Places

Topics

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Hannah Allen Jeter Weiser papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1991.Jul.14
Scope and Contents This collection contains materials related primarily to Wesier's education and career as a public health nurse as well as a few personal papers. These papers include course notes, some correspondence, drawings, medical pamphlets, maps, newspaper clippings, and a scrapbook. Series 1: Educational and Professional papers, 1917-1978. These materials include her class notes from nursing school, materials from the Instructive Visiting Nurse Association, medical reprints, a collection...
Dates: 1906 - 1983