Skip to main content

Richmond Professional Institute

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1917 - 1968
  • Usage: 1962 - 1968
  • Usage: 1939 - 1962
  • Usage: 1925 - 1939
  • Usage: 1918 - 1925
  • Usage: 1917 - 1918

Biography

The Richmond Professional Institute, originally named the Richmond School of Social Economy, began in 1917 to offer training in social work and public health nursing. Beginning in 1919, RPI affiliated with the College of William and Mary eventually becoming the Richmond Division of the College of William and Mary in 1925. The school grew despite insubstantial state funding. By 1953, RPI was accredited as an independent institution from William and Mary and RPI fully separated in 1962. During the 1960s the need to expand educational opportunities in the urban areas of the state became apparent. Following the recommendations of the Bird Commission Report and the Wayne Commission Report, RPI merged with the Medical College of Virginia to create Virginia Commonwealth University in 1968.

Places

Topics

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Theresa Pollak papers

 Collection
Identifier: M 5
Scope and Contents The Theresa Pollak Papers consists of materials covering Miss Pollak's academic and artistic career from 1917 to 1988 (primarily 1940s-1980s). Of particular note are the materials and correspondence Miss Pollak gathered about her major instructors influencing her artistic work, Allen Tucker and Hans Hoffmann. Also included in the collection are Christmas cards designed by Miss Pollak's former students and fellow faculty members and photographs of Miss Pollak's work and from her 1986 exhibit...
Dates: 1917-1996