Susan J. Mellette papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes correspondence, professional papers, reports, files and published materials dating from 1942-1993. The bulk of the collection dates from the 1960s through the 1980s and consists mostly of correspondence and professional papers. The collection focuses on Dr. Mellette's many professional pursuits within the field of oncology.
- Mellette, Susan J., 1922-2000 (Person)
Collection is open for use without restrictions.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Susan J. Mellette was born on June 4, 1922 in Raleigh, North Carolina and died September 14, 2000. She received her A.B. degree from Merideth College in 1942 followed by her M.D. degree from the University of Cincinnati College of Medecine in 1947. Dr. Mellette's efforts for cancer patients went far beyond just physical issues and help lead to a revolutionary change in cancer patient care nationwide. She was widely regarded as an expert in cancer rehabilitation.
Dr. Mellette joined the MCV faculty in 1955. From 1960-1966 she served as director of MCV's Division of Cancer Studies. She also served on the MCV Admissions Committee for 30 years. Eventually Dr. Mellette would become professor of internal medicine and rehabilitation medicine followed by professor emeritus in 1992. She would retire in 1995.
Dr. Mellette was also involved in various other activities. She served as president of the American Association for Cancer Education . She was involved in various peer review or policy-making committees for the National Cancer Institute. She also ran her own private practice and continued to care for patients up to 1992.
1 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Materials are arranged alphabetically within each series and chronologically therein. Series I. Correspondence (1965-1993, n.d.) -- Series II. Professional papers (1964-1982, n.d.) -- Series III. Associations (1971-1987, n.d.) -- Series IV. Topics in cancer (1959-1993, n.d.) -- Series V. Miscellaneous.
- Cancer -- Patients -- Long-term care. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Medical College of Virginia
- Medical Oncology -- United States. Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Mellette, Susan J., 1922-2000
- Oncologists -- Archives -- Virginia -- Richmond Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- A Guide to the Susan J. Melletee Papers, 1942-1993
- A Collection in Special Collections and Archives, Health Sciences Library, Virginia Commonwealth University, Collection number 2001.Oct.2
- Jodi Koste
- 2002 By Copyright Virginia Commonwealth University. All Rights Reserved.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding: Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the VCU Health Sciences Library Repository
Special Collections and Archives 509 N 12th St
Richmond Virginia 23298 USA US