Diploma and Certificate collection
Scope and Contents
Over time the Health Sciences Library, Special Collections and Archives has received numerous diplomas and certificates. These have sometimes been single item donations or have come in with larger donations. This finding aid allows users to more easily learn about and locate these items. This collection includes diplomas that span the history of the Medical College of Virginia (MCV), beginning with diplomas issued when it was still a department of Hampden-Sydney College. Also included are diplomas from the University College of Medicine (UCM) which was another Richmond area medical school started by Hunter H. McGuire in 1893. UCM merged with MCV in 1913. There are also diplomas from other medical schools such as the University of Virginia, Jefferson College, and the University of Pennsylvania as well as from various Richmond hospital nursing school programs including St. Luke's Hospital, Old Dominion Hospital, and Virginia Hospital. In addition to the diplomas there are numerous certificates from a variety of medical organizations and from Boards of Examiners. Some items have been digitized and are linked to the digital image, located on the VCU Libraries Gallery site.
Collection is open to research.
There are no restrictions.
3 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The materials are arranged alphabetically by the recipient's last name.
Any future diplomas and certificates acquired by the VCU Health Sciences Library, Special Collections and Archives will be added to this collection.
- Dental schools -- Virginia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diplomas Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Medical College of Virginia
- Pharmacy -- Virginia -- history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Schools, Medical -- History -- Virginia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Schools, Nursing -- Virginia -- Richmond. Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- University College of Medicine (Richmond, Va.)
- Virginia. Board of Medical Examiners
- Virginia. Board of Pharmacy
- Virginia. State Board of Examiners of Nurses
- A Guide to the Diploma and Certificate collection, 1815-
- A Collection in Special Collections and Archives, Health Sciences Library, Virginia Commonwealth University, Accession number 2015.Feb.03
- Margaret T. Kidd
- © 2015 By Virginia Commonwealth University. All rights reserved.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the VCU Health Sciences Library Repository
Special Collections and Archives 509 N 12th St
Richmond Virginia 23298 USA US