Charles P. Cardwell, Jr. collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the personal papers of Charles P. Cardwell, Jr. when he served as president-elect, then president of the Virginia Hospital Association. The papers include annual reports, committee reports, policy proposals, as well as personal and professional correspondence from 1950-1953. The papers focus on issues like standardization of nursing education, hospital insurance consolidation and reform, hospital finances, and indigent patient care.
- Cardwell, Charles P., 1903-1977 (Person)
Language of Materials
No restrictions on access.
No restrictions on use.
Biographical / Historical
Charles P. Cardwell Jr. was born 5 June, 1903 in Hanover County, Virginia. He attended Randolph-Macon College and Virginia Polytechnic Institute where he excelled in Engineering. By 1935 he was a licensed civil engineer in Kentucky. He became director of the buildings and grounds department at the Medical College of Virginia in 1940. In 1945 he also served as assistant director of the hospital division.
Cardwell became director of the hospital division in 1947. For the next 22 years he served as director of the teaching hospitals until his retirement in 1969. He was awarded MCV's first honorary doctorate (hospital administration) in 1962, and established the curriculum for the school of health administration. He served as president of the Virginia Hospital Association, Virginia Blue Cross, and the Richmond Hospital Council in addition to memberships in many other local civic organizations.
Cardwell received the American Hospital Association's Distinguished Service Award in 1970. Cardwell was granted emeritus professor status after his retirement in 1969. He was also awarded the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical School's first distinguished service to medicine award in 1975.
After his retirement Cardwell was active in the MCV alumni society, he served on several administrative councils, and still found time to teach a class once a week. Cardwell died 19 July, 1977 at the age of 74.
0.6 Linear Feet
Collection arranged in original order.
Collection donated by Dr. Lauren Woods, Vice President of Health Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Cardwell, Charles P., 1903-1977
- Health Facility Administrators -- Virginia. Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Hospital administrators -- Archives. -- Virginia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Medical College of Virginia -- Employees
- Societies, Hospital -- Virginia. Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Virginia Hospital Association
- A Guide to the Charles P. Cardwell, Jr. Collection
- A Collection in Special Collections and Archives, Health Sciences Library, Virginia Commonwealth University, Accession number 91.Aug.15
- Jody Romero
- 2005 By Virginia Commonwealth University. All Rights Reserved.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the VCU Health Sciences Library Repository
Special Collections and Archives 509 N 12th St
Richmond Virginia 23298 USA US