Joseph B. Benedetti papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists largely of printed information and correspondence from special interests and Benedetti's constituents concerning issues on a wide range of subjects that Virginia legislators dealt with in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Also included are copies of bills in their various versions, newspaper clippings, newsletters, reports, information on Richmond and Virginia agencies and civic organizations, and copies of Benedetti's responses to constituents' letters.
No restrictions on access.
No restrictions on use.
Joseph Benedict Benedetti served as a legislator representing parts of the Richmond, Virginia, metropolitan area first as a state delegate (1983-1986, 68th District) and later as state senator (1986-1997, 10th Senatorial District) in Virginia's General Assembly. Benedetti, a Republican, was appointed by Gov. James Gilmore to serve as head of the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services in 1997. He left that position in December 2001. Born in Richmond in 1929, Benedetti received an A.B. from the College of William and Mary and a J.D. from the University of Richmond Law School. He reached the rank of major in the U.S. Army Reserve and served in Japan, 1946-1947; Korea, 1951-1952; and during the Berlin Crisis, 1960-1961. He worked as a lawyer in the firm of Benedetti, Gilmore, Warthen and Dalton. He ran unsuccessfully for Virginia's Attorney General's office in 1989.
37 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Materials are arranged as received, in alphabetical order by subject. Additions to the collection were interfiled alphabetically and then chronologically in Series one (n.d., 1981-1993). Series Two (1986-1997) consists of materials added to the collection in 1996 and 1998.
Collection donated to Special Collections and Archives by Mr. Benedetti in May 1989.
- Benedetti, Joseph B. (Joseph Benedict), 1929-2014 -- Archives
- Lawyers -- Archives -- Virginia -- Richmond Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislators -- Archives -- Virginia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- A Guide to the Joseph B. Benedetti papers, 1983-1997
- A Collection in Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library, Collection number M 271
- 2002 By Copyright Virginia Commonwealth University. All Rights Reserved.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding: Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the VCU James Branch Cabell Library Repository
Special Collections and Archives 901 Park Avenue
Richmond Virginia 23284 USA US