Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church records,1902-2012
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of an assortment of articles, programs, images, brochures, clippings, and other materials concerning the church, its pastors, and Jackson Ward. Many of the items in the collection are photocopies of the originals, but there are some original materials, such as booklets and programs from various church anniversary celebrations. There are also materials relating to the 19th century, such as John Jasper's sermons, but since these materials are photocopies from secondary sources the date range of the records reflect only the dates of original materials in the collection.
- 1902 - 2012
- Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church (Richmond, Va.) (Organization)
The collection is open for use without restrictions.
There are no restrictions on use.
The Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church was founded by Reverend John Jasper on September 3, 1867 and was the first church in Richmond organized by an African American. The congregation originally met in an abandoned horse stable on Brown's Island in the James River. In 1869, the congregation purchased land on Duval Street located in what is now Jackson Ward. The core of the present church building was erected in 1885 by George Boyd. The 1925 remodeling of the church in the Gothic Revival style was done by architect Charles T. Russell and builder I. Lincoln Bailey. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
Source: Virginia Department of Historic Resources, National Register of Historic Places registration form, Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1996.
0.42 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Materials are arranged alphabetically.
- Baptists -- History -- Virginia -- Richmond Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Churches, African American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jasper, John, 1812-1901
- Richmond (Va.) -- Church history. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church (Richmond, Va.) -- Archives
- A Guide to the Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church records, 1902-2012
- A Collection in Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library, Collection number M 296
- Special Collections and Archives Staff
- 2001 By Copyright Virginia Commonwealth University. All Rights Reserved.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the VCU James Branch Cabell Library Repository
Special Collections and Archives 901 Park Avenue
Richmond Virginia 23284 USA US