Astoria Beneficial Club and Richmond Beneficial Insurance records
Scope and Content Information
The collection includes minutes, correspondence, committee reports and other materials which date from 1906 to 1947.
- Astoria Beneficial Club (Organization)
- Richmond Beneficial Insurance Co (Organization)
Collection is open to research.
There are no restrictions.
Astoria Beneficial Club (ABC) began as a social club in 1901, but eventually transformed into a beneficial organization that paid out sick dues and burial benefits to its members. Astoria donated money to organizations that served the African American community and to individuals in need. The Club also set up scholarships at Virginia Union University and honored individuals and businesses in the area for their community service. As of 2016, the Astoria Beneficial Club remains active in Richmond.
.36 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Files are arranged alphabetically by subject.
The collection is on loan to Special Collections and Archives from the Astoria Beneficial Club through Dr. Francis Foster, a member of the club.
- African Americans -- Archives -- Societies and clubs -- Virginia -- Richmond Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Astoria Beneficial Club
- Fraternal organizations -- Archives -- Virginia -- Richmond Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Insurance companies -- Archives -- Virginia -- Richmond Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Richmond (Va.) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Richmond Beneficial Insurance Co
- A Guide to the Astoria Beneficial Club and Richmond Beneficial Insurance records, 1906-1947
- A Collection in Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library M 311
- Melinda Gales
- © 2001 By Virginia Commonwealth University. All rights reserved.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the VCU James Branch Cabell Library Repository
Special Collections and Archives 901 Park Avenue
Richmond Virginia 23284 USA US