Skip to main content

Roanoke Valley YWCA records

Identifier: M 180

Scope and Contents

The collection includes minutes, reports, newsletters, records of the organization's multiple activities, photographs, and clippings. There are a few files involved in the WPA Writers Program.


  • Creation: 1901-1969


Access Restrictions

No restrictions on access.

Use Restrictions

No restrictions on use.

Biographical/Historical Information

The organization began in 1913 after meeting at the Roanoke home of Mrs. A. J. Kennard. The first permanent organization meeting was held in January of 1914 where it met at the Green Memorial Methodist Church. With 1,153 pledge memberships, the E.W. Tinsley property at 415 Roanoke Street was chosen as the first home of the Association. In 1923 the program was extended to African American girls and women with the formation of the Phyllis Wheatley Branch which by the 1950s was called the Lula Williams Memorial Branch. The organization's headquarters began meeting in a structure built specifically for the association at the corner of First Street and Franklin Road., S.W. The building was dedicated on May 28, 1928. As of 2002, the organization was called the YWCA of the Roanoke Valley. Its Executive Director was Pat Reynolds. An indication as to the services and programs it offers can be found in the organization's stated mission which is to "empower women and eliminate racism, the YWCA provides programs in these core areas: residence, child care and youth development, community and leadership development, advocacy and public policy, racial and social justice, targeted special-needs programs, and health and fitness."


9.1 Linear Feet

Language of Materials



The collection has been arranged in five series. There is only a rough inventory of the collection. Series I--Board of Directors (1918-1969); Series II--Fiscal Records (1925-1969); Series III--Executive Director's File (1901-1951); Series IV--Committees ( - ); Series V--Photographs and Clippings ( - ).

Acquisition Information

Gift of the Board of the YWCA on 20 April 1983.

A Guide to the Roanoke Valley YWCA records, 1901-1975
2001 By Copyright Virginia Commonwealth University. All Rights Reserved.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Funding: Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Repository Details

Part of the VCU James Branch Cabell Library Repository

Special Collections and Archives 901 Park Avenue
Richmond Virginia 23284 USA US
(804) 828-1108